Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Think Long Term!

Most dancers enter the world of dance with a looming reality that some day it’ll all be over: no more standing at the barre perfecting plie, no more gracing a stage somewhere in the world with a new performance, no more sitting in the dressing room gluing those eye lashes. We believe that we only have a short little window to DANCE. As a result we carry around this deep fear and anxiety. Though it is rarely exposed it is definitely present.

Today’s note is THINK LONG TERM. After I got married I thought my dancing was over. Once the herniated disc was found I really thought I was done. Two knee surgeries should surely do the trick. Then after my first child I thought it would be over. My second child came along and while I was pregnant was asked to do the most exciting project of my dance career. After 22 years of professional dancing I realize, finally, that I’ll always be an artist.

If you think long term now you will enjoy the project you are currently working on and look forward to the many other projects that have “your name” on it later in life.

Think Long Term!

1 comment:

  1. Your blog is a great encouragment, thankyou!

    I am a teenage that has always doubted myself in my own dance career. Feeling like if you can't win dance competitions in grade twelve then you basically should give up. With such a competitive art form and thousands of talented dancers for many young people giving up is what we make our reality. I did give up and have switched my focus to teaching where I knew I could excel. However, I've learned that dance isn't about competition and being the best and during my teacher trainging after high school i am going to keep getting better and dancing because it is a form of expression that I love to do.

    Can't live without the struggle of gluing fake eyelashes!

    ReplyDelete